Sunday, April 5, 2015

Reserved Love: Episode 9


Young Won is in cafe, still waiting for Mu Young’s answer, or any given explanation to her. Alas, he never calls her back. Tired waiting, she returns to her home, prefer to sleep. She’s still confused, why all people in the office acting strange. But then she tries not to think it much.

Mu Young himself, back to his apartment, eating ramyun and drinking beer. He looks at his phone’s notifications, but decides to close them all and turns off his phone. He’s in no mood to explain more to her. What’s the use anyway, he thinks.
Young Won then decides to come back to work, she just off from work for 3 days. She goes to office, it’s still busy as usual. Then she walks to her room, where 2 staffs already come in that morning. Secretary Jo also just enters the room. Young Won glances at him and gestures to him to go out. They goes to the canteen where Secretary Jo spills everything that happened that day. Young Won listens to him and occasionally gives surprising look at him.

Flashback, 3 days earlier...


Young Won took her bag and walked quickly outside the room. Everyone’s mouth agape, including Mu Young. Mu Young could’t even call out her. He went outside and looked for the subcontractor, but apparently the subcontractor was gone. Eventually he came back and called Young Won. After he closed the phone, he flipped his table, and threw all the book. He went to the project management meeting and shout to the project manager with dirty language. But he kept saying Young Won’s name. Project Manager Hyun was there and tried to calm down him.

Project Manager Hyun said they are in the middle of project management meeting and remind Mu Young about his manner and attitude. But Mu Young keep talking and angry as he wanted to cut off the agreement with that subcontractor and that project. Then Project Manager Hyun showed him the contract between Daehan Oil and the subcontractor’s company, they can’t just easily cut off the contract and the agreement between them.


“I don’t give a fuck to them! And I will blacklist them from our subcontractor register,” Mu Young said angrily.
“Calm down, Director. We need that subcontractor now, we have urgent oil shipment to meet our target this month,” Project Manager Hyun talked.
“Whatever urgent shipment, I will do everything to cut the subcontractor without your permission!” Mu Young said.


He finally left the room and called Chairman Seo. He also called other subcontractor if they can take over that shipment. So, everything in just a couple of hours, management decided to blacklist that subcontractor and they found some contractor in Oman. They used Oman shipment to Korea. Not Iran anymore.

Hearing all this, Young Won is speechless.... And she wants to faint.. Secretary Jo asks her if she’s alright. But she’s too shaken by the story. It’s unbelievable in its own and however she thinks, it doesn’t make sense to her that Mu Young went that far. Or maybe too far, just for her.

She takes a deep breath and goes to Mu Young’s room. He’s there, reviewing contracts and documents on his table.


“Why are you here now? Shouldn’t you still on holiday?” Mu Young asks.
“What happened with that subcontractor? Why did you cut him off?”
“Why do you want to know? It’s none of your business.”
“It’s also my business. The last time he was here he was talking with me, I also want to know what happened to him.”
“Listen, Young Won-ssi, I did my best to help you out. You don’t need to know how and why.”
“Director, this is just so random to cut him off without warning or proper agreement.”
“But this is also our management’s decision,” he starts to angry.
“But you never told me so. No, you don’t even explain it to me.”
“What’s more to explain? A crazy subcontractor who wants to punch you?”

“He didn’t punch me and we were both wrong.”
“Stop shielding him!! He never listened to you so why you come back if you just support him and against my decision,” he talks faster, he feels he can explode anytime.
“Director!! I don’t shield him and I just go to ask you here.”


Mu Young sighs and scratches his head. He puts both his hands to his ears and says boldly to her.

“Talk what you want! I don’t want to hear anything and I don’t want to discuss about this anymore.”
“Okay, fine if you don’t want to talk about it anymore. I’ll resign on my own!” Young Won is having enough with him and walks out of the room.

Mu Young sighs and hits the table with his fist. He breathes heavily and scratches his hair. It’s gonna be long day for him, he thinks.

Young Won comes back to his room and hands him her resignation letter. He still opens the letter, hoping it’s just a mistake. But it’s not a mistake, she really resigns from this company. Mu Young looks at her, slightly nervous. His heart is in pain, he almost can’t bring himself to sign the letter and stamp it. Young Won also looks down at the letter, but she can’t miss his face shows painful expression. After the signature and stamps, Young Won quickly takes her letter and brings it to administration.

Mu Young looks at her from behind. He feels hurt and angry. He can’t explain everything to her and the anger got to him first. Now he can only say goodbye to her. He turns on his smartphone and starts playing game. He tries to play Angry Bird, but halfway through the game he’s distracted and lose. He becomes even more angrier and slams the smartphone.

He thinks for a while before calling out Secretary Jo. The secretary comes in quickly to his room.

“Secretary Jo, did she leave?”
“Yes? Ms.Young Won? Yes, she already left, Director.”
“Did she really leave?” Mu Young asks, but it seems he asks himself because he isn’t focused anymore.
“Yes, Director. Do you want me to do something?”
“No. Nothing. Ah, just forget it.”

Mu Young asks him to leave. He doesn’t need him anymore. Confused, Secretary Jo leaves the room without talking.
**

After that day, Mu Young doesn’t seem to interested in office work anymore. He spends his time in daydream. It really concerns the staffs and secretary. Once, the staffs have company outing and they rent a karaoke room for everyone. While everyone else chooses upbeat and uplifting song, Mu Young chooses sad and depressing song about break up. The staff feels it isn’t appropriate for company outing, but alas, they aren’t brave enough to protest him and he’s too engrossed in the song.

Mu Young, on the other hand, feels like it’s his stage and sings to his heart’s content. He sings one of his favorite songs about break up, a song from Lee Juck titled “Rain”.

**
Young Won hangs out at a cafe when she meets Project Manager Hyun coincidentally. They chit chat for a while.

“What are you doing now, Young Won-ssi?”
“Just. Hmm, I want to start cafe business with my friend. So I decided to survey some cafes a bit and later I’ll work on it.”
“Good. Tell me when you already open the cafe, I’ll visit it.”
“Hmm, yeah, maybe.”
“You don’t curious about me? About our office?”
“Is there anything new? Anything fun?”
“Not really fun. But the director has changed.”
“How does he change?”

Young Won starts to get curious. She’s now curious how’s her ex-boss is doing nowadays.

“He likes daydreaming. Not everyday, but so often, even the staffs start to call him Daydream Director,” PM Hyun explains.
“What? Daydream Director? Hahaha... poor him. Then how about you? Does your work become easier or harder?”
“Not really. But I’ve been thinking lately.”
 “What are you thinking about?”
“Well, do you know that we have work party every 3 months? Usually our employees will bring their girlfriend or wife to the party. I’ve been thinking who I should bring to the party.”
“Is it difficult?”
“Yes, of course, I don’t have girlfriend, let alone wife. But now, that I meet you here, how about you accompany me to the party?”
“What?” she almost chokes herself.
“Because I don’t have girlfriend, but you’re my girl friend. My friend who happens to be a girl.”
“Do you really not have anyone? Any girl friends?”
“Aside from my work colleagues, I don’t have any. Do you think I should call my college friends one by one just for coming to the party?” PM Hyun still offers her.
“No, no.. You don’t have to do that. Hmm, let me think about it. It’s so sudden and I don’t know my schedule yet.”
“What kind of schedule is there for you? Anyway, the party is on next Saturday. If you decide to come, then text me before it, okay?”
“Okay then.”

After the offer, the project manager casually pays her coffee and they casually walk out the cafe together. Young Won looks at her watch, already 6pm, time for her to go home. She excuses herself politely and walks to her house’s direction. She wonders at the sudden invitation from the project manager. But maybe, just maybe, it will satisfy her curiousity about Mu Young.

She texts Project Manager Hyun and agrees to his offer. Now she thinks what kind of clothes she should wear?
**
Come to the company’s party, Young Won is a bit restless and nervous. Not only she will meet PM Hyun, but also her ex-colleagues, and even her boss. She doesn’t know if it’s good thing to do, but at least PM Hyun Bin is decent. He wears three-piece suit without necktie, but still looks handsome. Secretary Jo is also there and he’s much surprised Young Won will come with PM Hyun. It’s unexpected for him so he teases them a lot and even jokes in front of their colleagues, team leaders and managers. Things turn awkward for them and Hyun Bin asks Young Won for a little chat by the table. It looks like Young Won is flustered, he’s little bit embarrassed as well. So he tries to get over their awkward feelings.

“Well, um...I’m sorry if things turn out this way. People are always chatty at this kind of party,” he tells her.
“It’s okay. It’s understandable.”
“Young Won-ssi, you hope Director will come right?”
“Eh? What are you talking about?” she’s flustered even more and can’t hide her expression.
“Well, he should come around this time,” PM Hyun smiles at her.

Young Won is sure Hyun Bin can read her mind easily. Or maybe it’s because she’s too obvious. What else the reason she come here if not for Mu Young?
Party will be started when a limousine is parked outside. Mu Young enters the room with someone, a young and pretty woman. It’s not the late Madam aka Seo Na Young, it’s also not one of the staffs. Everyone’s attention is directed to Mu Young and his girl. Who is she? People murmurs, some say it maybe Director’s newest girlfriend. Young Won’s face falls when she sees them walk together hand-in-hand.


The girl in question even leans in Mu Young and calls him Oppa. Young Won feels her head is boiling. She’s sad and upset at the same time.

“Oppa?? Who is that chick to call him Oppa?” She thinks to herself.


PM Hyun brings her back to reality just when they starts to walk to the ballroom. Everyone is expected to bow at him, so do PM Hyun and Young Won. Mu Young almost doesn’t recognize Young Won, but when he sees her beside PM Hyun, he can’t help but glares suspiciously at her.

Mu Young smiles at his staffs and other directors while manages to free his hand from his girl. It’s actually not his girlfriend, but his friend’s younger sister who’s willing to be paid as his party partner. Mu Young steal glances at Young Won, wonders why she come along with Hyun Bin. He even never get any info about her but one of his staffs can ask her out to be his partner.

Young Won also look at his direction, feels jealous over his partner. She now regrets coming to this party if it’s to find Mu Young has another woman. She can’t think straight and feels like she should drink as much as possible to forget him. PM Hyun stops her from drinking much, argues that it’s company party, what happens if she’s too drunk. He holds her hand and asks for her understanding.


From Mu Young’s point of view, it becomes clear that Young Won and PM Hyun are dating. He’s hurt and jealous. Feels from way back resurface again and it’s really painful to him.

Mu Young asks Secretary Jo if he knows a thing or two about Young Won and Hyun Bin. Sec. Jo shrugs it off, he never hear a gossip about them, but remarks that maybe PM Hyun likes her. Sec.Jo then connects the dots and says that Mu Young may feel jealous. Mu Young rolls his eyes and chides him to say things so carelessly.

The music is on and the attendants can dance. At first it’s swing music, before they change the music to jazz to change the mood. Hyun Bin offers Young Won to dance together and they move to the floor, dance slowly but surely. Mu Young really can’t stand the sight so he chooses to go out the building and smoke there. Young Won realizes Mu Young is not in the room anymore. Her eyes wanders throughout the room but then she doesn’t want to disappoint Hyun Bin and tries to smile to him.


After the dance is over, Young Won tries to avoid Hyun Bin and goes on to look for Mu Young. He isn’t here anymore, so she sits in a chair and unlocks her phone, wonders if she should just call him. But then Mu Young comes from behind.

“Young Won-ssi, do you have time to talk to me?” Mu Young asks her.

She’s a bit surprised, but she answers “Sure”.

“Okay, let’s get out from here.”

Mu Young guides her to leave the room. However, just before they leave the room, Hyun Bin calls them. Mu Young turns around to see him.


“Director, who do you think yourself? Stop right here!” PM Hyun looks angry.
“I’m.. I have a business with her,” Mu Young replies.
“Stop it, Director. While I still ask you nicely, please don’t bother her. Just go home with your girl.”
“Why do you care so much about it?” Mu Young starts to upset.
“It’s me who asked her to come here. Of course I care about her.. She’s my woman tonight,” Hyun Bin says.
“Stop it, you two!” Young Won tells them. “Director, I’m sorry, maybe we can have a chat another time.”
“Okay, fine. Young Won-ssi, I’ll meet you tomorrow!”

Young Won can’t believe she actually agrees to talk with Mu Young. What for and what’s more she actually hope from him? She thinks. But then, she can’t help but feel happy when Mu Young is in the party, with or without his girl.
**
Mu Young really comes to her house in the morning. Just after she had breakfast. He knocks on her door. He looks ragged, sleep-deprived and pitiful.

Once she opens the door, he greets her with a smile.

“Good morning. Hope I don’t bother you,” Mu Young says.
“Yes, you bother me again. What did you want to talk last night?”

Mu Young smiles and he goes inside her house. They sit on a sofa. Mu Young apologizes to her.

“Young Won-ah... I’m sorry if I keep hurting you. I’m sorry... for everything. Last night I was so crazy that I couldn’t see anyone but you. It’s my fault too that you left the company,” he says.
“It’s all in the past. I’m sorry too, because I was too rash. I was also at fault.”
“So do you accept my apology?”
“Yes.”
“Now, are you not angry with me anymore?” Mu Young asks again.
“I’m not angry, I’m just jealous. Who wouldn’t when you came with new girlfriend...”
“She’s not. She’s my friend’s dongsaeng. Aigoo, so you can get jalous too?” He teases.
“Aigoo, you were jealous too last night,” she replies.
“Speaking of, he’s really not your boyfriend right?” Mu Young asks, referring to Hyun Bin.
“I will make him my boyfriend if you keep hanging out with that dongsaeng.”

Then Mu Young makes serious face and asks Young Won. He seems determined now.


“Did you love me?” Mu Young asks to the point.
She looks into his eyes and nods.
"Do you still love me?" He asks again.
"I still..love you,” she replies.
"Then let's leave with me. When I was in Turkey I keep seeing beautiful lakes and beaches. We can stay there for the rest of our lives. Did you watch Noona over Flowers? Turkey is nice."
"I can’t Mu Young-ah. I can't leave with you.”
“Why?”
“To be honest I can't just leave, what about my parents and my younger sister? I won't."
“Ah well, you still can visit them sometimes. Or we live together somewhere in Korea. Anywhere but Seoul.”
“You have good position in the company and everything, why do you want to leave Seoul?”
“Then, do you want to leave this house and marry me?” Mu Young pulls out a ring box and shows it to Young Won.

He’s a bit shy and can’t look straight at her face. Actually Young Won is very surprised too. Who would expect someone propose to her in the morning. She’s slack-jawed and just blankly looks at him for a good minute.


Mu Young runs out of patience and look up at her. He tries to decipher her expression, is she happy or nervous? Will she accept it?

Mu Young tries to be as calm and cool as possible and asks again.

“Will you marry me?”
***
To be continued...

Writer: kanz
Pictures: as tagged, to owner

2 comments:

  1. Man, hurry and put a ring on it! Pali!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writernim, will there be a back-to-back episodes of Reserved Love on Sunday? (LOL!) I hope you could forgive me and understand that I really am starving from a lack of HJW and JCW crack. Hope you are doing well, dear writernim!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...